Wednesday, October 13, 2010

CUSTOM DINING TABLE - HAVE IT MADE

Have you seen the prices of dining tables in the showrooms lately? I was looking for one for a client, a clean line traditional table, with few constraints. I was shocked that the price the customer was going to pay for a veneered mahogany dining table with some detail , high quality, and seats 14 in a pinch, was $20k!
What was even more shocking was that the aprons did not account for a standard arm chair, the edges of the elaves were not finished, no leaf box and a myriad of other issues had me thinking, let's make it.
To add an insult, to make one of these tables correctly, they are considered custom and the quote is jacked up by $5k and the lead time was almost 6 months!

I used to have most of my dining tables made by trusted local workrooms, from sketches and drawings I developed and that fit the aesthetic and needs of my client, the constrants of the room and budget.
After developing a quote and receiving a 50% deposit I wnet to work on the detailed drawings.

The client and I started the conversation about the top, shape, details, etc. and I came up with this drawing of a fiery mahogany veneer which was available from Houston Wood Products.
Then, we started in on the base, pedestal that splits or legs. Since we wanted to seat 14 we decided to go
with a split pedestal and four steel runners for support of the 5 leaves.
The details are so important to finalizing the table before production. The base had carved acanthus leaves and a vase form reeded column. The six legs splay out and had inlaid veneer and large brass casters for ease of movement when opening the table for insertion of the leaves.


We started to fabricate the table and I sent a picture of the pieces arranged before sanding and finishing. For approval, I laid the top on the base so that the client did not have to visualize and could see the proportions.

I also made finish samples and with all of the changes the price had changed as well and with each change I informed the client what the upcharge would be. Most of the changes were approved and some were not. We did go over budget, but the table was one that would last a lifetime and was more beautiful than any we had seen in a showroom. It was also customized to her aesthetic.
The workroom, under my direction, continued by finishing the piece with Mohawk stains and clear lacquer finishes. The table top had seven layers of finish and was polished to a gloss finish. We added the hardware, made a leaf box and below are the results, in 14 weeks!









I added a bit of gilding (23kt gold leaf around the bottom edge and the little carvings on the legs for a more elegant look.
contact mws@mwsdesignsf.com for more details or to create your own.








































No comments:

Post a Comment